Sunday, September 7, 2008

When our rafting plan flopped..

Our much hyped(among our friends) Sita Nadi rafting trip flopped miserably.. 8 of us were supposed to go and the very 4 ppl who had planned the trip dropped out, God knows for what reason. I dont understand how people dont care to stand up to their words and inconvenience others as per their whims n fancies! Nevertheless, we decided to carry on. The very day we wanted to start, we get a call from the resort manager saying rafting is closed due to low water levels probably till next monsoon! If it was a bigger group the trip could have been fun with or without rafting.. But we finally decided to cancel our booking and have fun watching movies, playing cards n other games at home..

I wanted to watch "Mukhbir" for 2 reasons:

> the confidence with which the director had annouced a money back guarantee if you come out of the theatre dissatisfied.
> was curious to watch the performance of Sammir Dattani aka dhyan(as he is known in kannada filmdom) in a serious role.

I must accept that Mukhbir not only left me satisfied but wanting for more.. It depicts the life of an informer (thats what Mukhbir means!) with an interesting style of narration. Though it starts slow, the story manages to keep you gripped till the end. Sammir has done a commedable job except in few sequences(he could have done far better in his first scene with Sunil Shetty and his conversation with Rahul Dev in the end). If you can ignore some minor flaws in the movie, it's value for your money and time! Go watch it for its story..

I decided to watch "A Wednesday" as TOI said dont miss it and it had Naseeruddin Shah as the lead protaganist. It excelled my expectations in every possible way. It gripped us right from the first scene till the end. I cannot imagine even for a moment, anyone else portraying that role with such perfection. As this is a movie with a message for every common man, it had some heated gyan (preaching) by the lead character at the end. For someone like me, gyans are always a put off, that is if not for Naseeruddin Shah's perfect portrayal with flawless dialogue delivery. It makes one sit up and listen every word with interest. It's a movie not to be missed for no reason..!

All my friends along with the reviewers recommended watching "Rock on". As this is a movie whose essence is music and the promos reminded of "Jhankar Beats", I wasn't so keen on watching it in theatre. So got hold of a DVD to give it a try. May be, 'Rock on' wouldn't feel so dull and mediocre to me if I hadnt watched it after 'Mukhbir' and 'A Wednesday' or if ppl wouldn't have hyped it so much or if I had some real taste in music, esp rock. Apart from all that, I personally could not relate to some characters, how can anyone drift apart from close friends for a trivial reason and not share some important things from the past (atleast friends and hobbies, if not love) with the life partner! One reviewer on Mouthshut said "Rock on teaches you stuff about being friends. About staying friends. About living your life to the fullest. The way you want to. Doing exactly what your heart desires. Keeping track of the important stuff in your life, in your relationships, and letting go of the trivial stuff." And this is something I already know and follow. Whatsoever, I decided it's not my kind of a movie and I am glad I didnt waste my 200 bucks by going to a multiplex!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...
Happen to come across your blog. I must say I appreciate you comments about Mukhbir :)
Thanks!
Love Sammir Dattani